IVF: In Vitro Fertilization
I – (in)
V – (vitro) – the outside of the body
F – Fertilization
IVF means Transferring of developing embryo in uteurs prepared & developed (3- 4 days) in special laboratory by fertilization of oocyte and sperm outside of the body.
IVF (Test Tube Baby) For whom?
- The number of sperm or ovum is less.
- Dysfunctional or Blocked Fallopian tubes.
- 3-4 times IUI has failed.
- Pregnancy after menopause.
- No reason is found and results are not obtained after all other methods are adopted.
- Polycystic ovary (PCOS) in which eggshells have trouble falling apart.
- Cervical problem.
- The process of IVF (test tube baby) is not complicated.
- No need to stay overnight.
- No cuts or stitches throughout IVF Procedure.
- Increases chances of positive results.
1. Blood reports and sonography
Blood reports-Hormone reports-3D sonography of the uterus and ovary.
2. Stimulation process
To develop more and good quality of female eggs, hormone injections are given (Starts from 2nd to 3rd days of menses).
3. Monitoring by sonography
Sonography will be done 3 – 5 times to access the developement of eggs and if needed blood reports are done.
4. Injection of eggs maturation
When the female eggs and hormones are appropriate, injection is given to mature the eggs (around 12th to 15th day of menses).
5. Ovum Pickup
With the help of sonography under anesthesia female eggs are extracted using thin needle and husband semen sample also taken same time. (after 35 to 40 hours of injection of seed maturation ovum pickup done) Half day admission to hospital.
6. Embryonic process
Fertilization process of eggs and sperm are performed by a special microscope,by skilled embryologist.
7. Development of Embryo
The fertilized embryo are kept in a special incubator to provide an environment similar to the womb of the mother for further development.
8. Embryo Transfer
The developing embryo is implanted into the uterus by a thin plastic catheter under sonography guidance and if there are more embryo left they can be freeze for future used.
9. Pregnancy Test
Seventeen days after the embryo transfer the pregnancy test is performed using a blood B-HCG report.